A United States patent gives you the right to exclude all others from making, using or selling the claimed subject matter of your patent, or its equivalents.
Before you decide to pursue your idea, you should be confident that a market exists for you new idea that is at least large enough to cover your investment costs and significantly larger than that.
It is a usually best to have a patentability search conducted before you invest time or money in a new project idea. If cost is a factor initially, you can conduct a free preliminary patent search on the Internet. However, before a patent application is filed, a search should be conducted at the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
The cost to conduct a Patentability Search and Prepare a Written Opinion on Patentability for a typical invention is $1200.00.
Our Patent Searches are Better and Here’s Why
* We have over 20 years of experience of all phases of intellectual property, including hands-on patent searching at the USPTO;
* Our Alexandria, Virginia office is located in close proximity to the USPTO and have a working knowledge of the area and the examining groups. Typically our patentability opinions include patent search data obtained from:
* A computer based search at the USPTO;
* A manual search fine-tuned based on the results of the computer search; and
* If necessary, a follow-up with a patent examiner in the group art unit where your patent application will be examined.
We have three options to help you to file a Provisional Patent Application:
1.Online Self-prepared Provisional Patent Application ($195 plus filing cost of $130 for small entity).
This is a fully self-prepared “as-is” filing. It is the least expensive way to obtain an early filing date but does not benefit from a review by a licensed US Patent Attorney.
2. Online Self-prepared-plus Provisional Patent Application ($490 plus filing cost of $130 for small entity).
This option includes a review by a licensed US Patent Attorney to be sure the application includes all elements necessary to obtain a filing date and also includes docketing your Provisional Patent Application in our calendar to remind you of when a Non-provisional Patent Application must be filed.
3. In house preparation by licensed US Patent Attorney ($3,250.00 for most applications, of which $1,250.00 is applied to the cost of preparing and filing a utility patent application).
This is the most expensive option but also provides a full review and editing of the application contents by a licensed US Patent Attorney.
As with any patent application, it is advisable to have a patentability search conducted at the US Patent and Trademark Office. A search provides you with information about the prior art
A utility patent protects the function of a device or method. The cost to prepare and file a utility patent application, including the filing costs to the US Government and drafting costs is $5500 for most inventions. A fixed price will be provided together with your patentability opinion.
If you have further questions, please contact our office. We will be glad to provide you with a complimentary 30 minute consultation concerning patents or any other intellectual property matters.